Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 19, 1981

Thirty years ago – WOW – it doesn’t seem possible. You might wonder what I am talking about. I want to share something very special to me in this email. My youngest son, Ray, is 30 years old today. It seems like only yesterday. Thirty years – it is a reminder of how old I am. I was 32 when Ray was born. It was an extremely hard labor; not very long, but very hard. I really struggled to get him into this world and it seems a lot of his life since then has been a struggle. He’s always had to fight for his place in life. Some of the struggles have been of his own making and he will readily admit it. But a lot of them were because of other people and other situations. I have seen him struggle with emotions and feeling like it wasn’t “manly” to cry. I’ve seen him hurt and know I couldn’t do anything to ease the hurt. No parent wants to see their children hurt. It breaks our heart. But, sometimes it happens. I tried to raise him to be a good person, to be respectful of other people, to be a loving and kind man. I tried to teach him to respect women and never treat them badly. I think he’s turned out to be a pretty good young man. He has a heart big as all outdoors.

I want to share some pictures with you – from his birth to my most recent picture of him taken in June 2010. I hope you enjoy them. Just consider them a Mom’s nostalgic journey and if you don’t want to travel with me, you can just close this email and go on with your day.

PD_0230PD_0452

I went into labor about 4:00 on May 18. Ray was born about 4:00 May 19. I was confined to bed when I was seven months pregnant and was staying with my Mama while Tommy was working in Delaware. Dr. Baker told me Ray had the widest shoulders of any baby he had ever delivered. At one point I was told if I couldn’t bring him into this world pretty soon, they would have to break his collar bones. Needless to say, that was all it took and he came into this world screaming at the top of his lungs.

PD_0177

Professional pix taken at hospital.

PD_0172

This was the first professional picture.

PD_0178

This is my Mama's favorite pix.

PD_0198

Ray and “Wuver”, my Mama.


PD_0585

What beautiful curls. His daddy got so tired of hearing

"what a beautiful little girl"......

PD_0208



Ray went from curls to "GI"

PD_0194

On the beach at Pink Shell Cottages.

PD_0207

Ray lost his 2 bottom teeth when he

pulled his play pen over on himself.


PD_0414

Not sure which birthday-but really good cake.

PD_0446

The overalls are hand-me-downs from TJ.

PD_0531

Matador in school program.

PD_0538

Murphy High School Band.

PD_0571

Rodeo day at Roanoke Island Baptist Church.

PD_0597

RIBC album picture.

EPSON012

Family reunion at Midway.

PD_0159-1


Maggie Valley zoo – yes, that it a snake.

PD_0184

Dare Day wearing "Muver's" glasses.

EPSON044

Check out the eyebrows.

PD_0185

One of the original "cone heads".

EPSON078

GI Joe kitty.

1985-06 (4)

Beach picture behind Pink Shell.

1985-10 (2)

Halloween.

EPSON010-1

Who wouldn't love that face?

EPSON041

Ocracoke visit with Aunt Sallie Nunemaker.

moving 079

Mother's Day 2008.

moving 082-1

He came to Church with me that morning and

we went to lunch with Charles and Candi after services.

He left for Alaska in June.

Alaska 001

Taken shortly after leaving Manns Harbor-Alaska bound!


100_9190

Hannah and Ray - June 2010. She visited him in Alaska when she

went on a mission trip with her Church. Not sure what I think

about the long hair!

I hope you enjoyed these pictures. Of course, I have hundreds to choose from but just wanted to share some with you. I’m sure he will be ready to kill me when he sees this post. I love Ray and miss him very much. I hope he has a wonderful 30th. birthday. I wish TJ and I could be there to enjoy it with him.

Brenda

No comments: