Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Haley Girl

I really love my Haley girl. The last dog I had was a black lab named Patch. He was so beautiful and such a gentle boy. He wouldn't even bark at the ducks that would come up in the yard. They would walk all around him and he never even raised his head. The kids would throw things in the water for him to fetch until I would have to tell them to stop. I believe he would have fetched forever. After both my boys left home, I gave him to a friend down the road that had 2 kids. John carried him to his boat shop every day and Patch eventually passed away one day lying there in the sun. When John call me and told me Patch was dead, both of us cried. He was a truly special dog.
Now back to Haley. I got her in September 2006. I was a little hesitant to get her and there were 3 other couples that had been to see her and wanted her. But when Ray and I went in the house, it was as if she had always known us. Larry told us if we wanted her, she was ours. I had to go back to work so Ray brought her home for me. She is a sweet dog, a little over weight I admit. I'm sure the vet will scold me when I carry her back in for her yearly checkup. She sleeps with me, under the cover at the bottom of the bed. I guess she did that with her other owner or either she knew I was a pushover. When the alarm goes off in the morning, she crawls
up from the bottom, puts her head on the pillow next to mine and tucks her head under my chin. Since I do not have a fenced in yard, I can't just turn her loose outside. She has a long rope and can reach the pecan tree for shade or get under the porch. If I turn her loose, I learned the hard way, she will put her nose to the ground and just walk. The only time I did that, I found her 3 miles down the road. After her morning constitutional, she gets back on my bed and just waits on me. I can go in and out of my bedroom a hundred times and she never moves. But the minute, I put on my shoes and earrings (the last thing I do before I walk out) she jumps off the bed and goes into the living room. She is kennel trained and as soon as I get her a dog bone she trots down to the office and goes in the kennel and waits for me to shut the door.
There she waits for me until I get home from work. Last year, during the busiest time of my tax season, I carried her to work with me to I would't have to leave at 5:00. She slept on a bed at the end of my desk and greeted everyone that came in. After we went to the post office and bank, we would go for a short walk and both of us benefited from that. I will probably do the same thing this year. She loves all people and gets along with most other dogs.
The picture above is where she spends most of her time when I am home. She is lying on her bed in my office-at-home. Wherever I am, that's where she will be. I sometimes feel I am not being fair to her. I can't do much walking due to having arthritis in my foot and she loves to go for a walk. I honestly don't have a lot of time to spend with her; but she seems perfectly content . Tommy tells me that she's happy and I should quit trying to find her a "good" home. I just feel like she deserves better. But, she is definitely my pal and I love her a lot. I can tell her all my secrets and I do and I know she will never tell on me. I have wrapped my arms around her and cried, many times, and she just snuggles down and gives me whatever comfort she can. I can gripe about my day when I come home and she just sits there with her head cocked to one side waiting for me to finish. She brings her toy to me when she wants to play and keeps hitting me on the leg with it until I stop what I am doing and play. She only wants to play for about 5 minutes and then it's nap time again. She is a great dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hailey has been a much needed blessing in moms life and every day I thank God that she it there to help my mom. She needs it and it's great for the both of them