Wednesday, July 13, 2011

doughnuts

Good morning everyone.  And it is indeed a good morning.  Second day in a row that I haven’t had vertigo when I opened my eyes.  YAY and THANK YOU LORD!!  I know it will probably be back, but as least it’s gone for now.

 

As I was getting ready to come to work this morning, I heard a segment on the radio station that wakes me up about doughnuts.  I didn’t catch all of the conversation, but it was about making homemade doughnuts out of canned biscuits.  And boy, did that bring back some memories!   I remember my Mama making them and they were a real treat. I don’t know if we couldn’t buy “Krispy Kreme” or any other brand of doughnuts – you know it was back in the dark ages!!  I don’t know if it was because we didn’t live in a large town and I know they weren’t sold in the little stores in my community.  I just really don’t know why we didn’t buy store-bought doughnuts; we just didn’t.  Mama would take a can of biscuits, cut a hole in middle of each one and drop it in a sauce pan of very, very, very hot oil and it only took a few seconds for the doughnut to cook.  Then she would lay it on a paper towel for just a few seconds, then drop it into a bag with powdered sugar in it, shake it and….there was your fried, homemade doughnuts!  It would almost melt in your mouth and tasted a little like the funnel cakes you could get at the fair.

 

I remember, after the boys and I moved to Manns Harbor, they wanted some doughnuts one night.  White’s was already closed and back then, the stores in Manteo had already closed.  They didn’t stay open late like they do now and there were no Food Lion’s or Harris Teeter’s on the beach and even if there had been, there was no way I was going to drive to the beach for doughnuts.  So, I told them we could make some.  They looked at me like I had lost my mind because even then they already knew I wasn’t a great cook.  Mom make doughnuts?  No way…it wasn’t going to happen.  I took a can of biscuits out of the refrigerator, opened them and spread them out on wax paper.  I was trying to decide what to use to make the doughnut hole (I couldn’t remember what Mama used).  I looked through the utensil drawer and nothing in there would work.  Then…on the counter I saw my Tylenol bottle—one of the small ones—and it only had 2 pills left in it.  I took them out and washed the bottle.  I know the boys, at this point, thought I had lost my mind.  I took the Tylenol bottle and made a perfect little hole in the center of each biscuit with the small top of the bottle.  By this time, the oil was perfect and I dropped the first doughnuts in it.  It only takes a few seconds for the doughnuts to cook.  I laid them on a paper towel and cooked the rest.  I cooked 3 doughnuts at the time and I put the doughnut holes in with the last batch.  As soon as they were done, I dropped them in a small paper bag with powdered sugar in it and let the boys shake the bag until the doughnuts were covered.  I hardly ever got to eat a doughnut, unless the can of biscuits happened to have an odd number.  Then I would get the extra doughnut along with a few of the doughnut holes.  My boys thought this was the greatest treat ever!! We cooked them sometimes when they had friends over and “Mom’s canned biscuit doughnuts” were always a hit!

 

What simple pleasures!!  What great memories!!

 

Have a great day everyone.  Stay cool.

 

Brenda

boutlaw@carolinaregion.com

 

 

No comments: