Thursday, July 7, 2011

Patriotism

Good morning everyone.  It’s really quiet here…no one stirring but me, Haley, Piper (dog) and Bodie (ferret).  It’s foggy outside but the temperature is very nice.  I am heading back home today.  I’m ready to go, but I hate to leave too.  I’m sure all of you have been there at one time or another.  I hope the travel angel rides with us all the way, especially around Raleigh.  That is the only portion of the trip I dread.  Coming out here, about 40 miles east of Raleigh I started getting queasy in my stomach and I’m sure my blood pressure was sky high.  As soon as I’m past that beautiful city, my stomach just calms right down and my heart rate drops back to normal.  I don’t know why I dread it so much but I do. 

 

I think of myself as a very patriotic person; in fact, I know I am.  There is nothing more beautiful that one of those really big American flags just blowing in the wind.  I remember when Hardee’s was in  Manteo (where TL’s) is now.  There had one of those huge flags and it was such an awesome sight.  I saw  it every morning on my way to work from Nags Head to Manteo.  Then, I remember one morning when I came by and it wasn’t there.  Shortly after getting to work, I heard on the radio that it had been stolen.  How sad.  Hardee’s replaced it before the week was out and then about two weeks later, that flag was stolen.  Pretty common people in my opinion.  Hardee’s management decided to not put one back up and I really missed it.  It always bring a lump to my throat when I see my country’s flag waving or hear the National Anthem sung – sung correctly, not like Roseann ( and many others) sang it.  I realize it’s only a song, but it’s an important part of our patriotic heritage and should be respected as such.  Just my opinion. 

 

The Pledge of Allegiance of the United States is an oath of loyalty to the national flag and the Republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892 and formally adopted by Congress as the national pledge in 1942.  It has been modified four times since its composition, with the most recent change adding the words “under God” in 1954.  Congressional sessions open with the recital of the Pledge, as do government meetings at local levels; meetings held by the Knights of Columbus, Royal Rangers, Boy and Girl Scouts, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Freemason, Lions
club, Rotary Club, as well as many other organizations. (I also read that Bellamy originally wrote this “pledge” as a way to make money selling flags…whatever the reason, I’m glad it became what it is today.)

 

According to the US Flag Code, the Pledge of Allegiance reads:  “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all”.  Also according to the Flag Code, the Pledge “should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.  Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present and not in uniform may render the military salute.  Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag and render the military salute.”

 

The original Pledge read as follows: “I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all”. In 1923 the National Flag Conference called for the words “my Flag” to be changed to “the Flag of the United States” so that new immigrants would not confuse loyalties between their birth countries and the United States.  The words  “of America” were added a year later.  The United States Congress officially recognized the Pledge as the official national pledge on 6/22/42.

 

Swearing of the Pledge is accompanied by a salute.  An early version of the salute, adopted in 1892, was known as the Bellamy salute.  It started with the hand outstretched toward the flag, palm down and ended with the palm up.  Because of the similarity between this salute and the Nazi salute developed later, President Franklin Roosevelt instituted the hand-over-the-heart gesture as the salute to be rendered by civilians during the Pledge of Allegiance and the national anthem in the United States.

 

Beginning in 1948, there were several attempts made to incorporate the words “under God” into the Pledge.  Prior to February 1954, none of these attempts were successful.  The final successful push came from George M. Docherty.  Some American presidents honored Lincoln’s birthday by attending services at the church he attended and by sitting in Lincoln’s pew on the Sunday nearest his birthday.  On February 7, 1954, with President Eisenhower sitting in Lincoln’s pew, Pastor Docherty delivered a sermon based on the Gettysburg Address titled “A New Birth of Freedom”.  He argued that the nation’s might lay not in arms but its spirit and higher purpose.  He noted that the Pledge’s sentiments could be those of any nation, that “there was something missing in the pledge, and that which was missing was the characteristic and definitive factor in the American way of life”.  He cited Lincoln’s words “under God” as defining words that set the United States apart from other nations.  President Eisenhower responded enthusiastically to Docherty in a conversation following the service.  Eisenhower acted on his suggestion the next day and on February 8, 1954 a bill was introduced.  Congress passed the necessary legislation and Eisenhower signed the bill into law on Flag Day, June 14, 1954.

 

We always say the Pledges to the American Flag, the Christian Flag and the Bible in my Church on Sunday morning.  Often times it is said without much emotion and quickly. Often times there are people, our own members, that do not recite it.  Several years ago, our Sunday School superintendent led the reciting of the Pledges and we had said all three in less than 30 seconds.  I raised my hand and asked that we please repeat them, with meaning, taking time between each pledge to turn to the item.  I think it kinda ticked the superintendent off; but I really don’t care.  If you aren’t going to give the Pledges the respect they deserve, then don’t say them at all.  If you are just mumbling words, then don’t say them at all. Again, just my opinion.

 

I guess I will go for now.  Getting ready for breakfast. Thank all of you for the birthday calls and emails.  You have started my morning off right.

 

 

 

 

Brenda

boutlaw@carolinaregion.com

 

 

No comments: