Saturday, July 2, 2011

Independence Day

Hello everyone.  I don’t know about where you live but it has really been hot here in Dare County today. 

 

After Heidi with Tideland delivered my Kindle and took my picture, Candi, Charlie and I visited the Aquarium.  It’s fun to go there anyway, but it’s really fun to go with a little one.  I love seeing things through their eyes…it’s so refreshing.  Then we went to McDonald’s for lunch…sorry they didn’t have ice cream Candi.  Candi and Charlie surprised me with a birthday gift.  Charlie tried hard to keep it a secret. I had kinda figured out it was a gift for me (guess I would have been really disappointed if had been something else wouldn’t I?).  But, finally Charlie couldn’t hold it any longer and while Candi was getting our order he leaned over the table and whispered – loud enough the people at the next table heard him – “Granny B, this bag is your “burfday” present. It’s a secret”.  And along with that statement came the sweetest smile.  He is such a sweetheart.  Don’t get me wrong, he is all boy; but he wiggled into my heart the first time I laid eyes on him.  He is a really special little boy.

 

I know you all are probably going to do something special for July 4th.  I’m sure I will too; I just don’t know what yet.  I’m pretty sure Albemarle will have some kind of celebration and Hannah, TJ and I will probably attend.  I am grateful for the independence July 4th. represents.  But today I am talking about another kind of independence.  One day as I was going to work this week, I heard one of my favorite hymns on the Christian radio station.  I had never heard anyone but Marie, at my Church, sing it.  The song is “He Came to Me”.  Marie is on the music schedule to sing this Sunday and I knew she already had a song picked out.  I immediately called her and left her a voice mail asking that she also sing “He Came to Me” on Sunday night.  I really didn’t think the pastor would mind.  After I got to work I sent her an email just to be doubly sure she got my message.  In the email I told her it had ‘come to me’ what a great independence day song that song would be.  Think about it….because of my salvation….I am free.  Free from having to worry about where I am going to spend eternity.  And there is no way…absolutely no way…I would have that independence without the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.  In our celebration of July 4th. we usually recognize the sacrifice others have made that we might have all of the freedoms that go with that independence.  And I am very thankful for all of those who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom.  But, the most important sacrifice was made on the cross….not on a battlefield.  Although I guess it was a battlefield of sorts.

 

So tonight as I sit here typing this email, I thank God for the sacrifice he gave us.  I want to share the words of the song with you and I think you will see how it is an appropriate song for Independence Day.

 

The gulf that separated me from Christ my Lord,

Was so vast the crossing I could never ford.

From where I was to His demand, it seemed so far.

I cried “Dear Lord, I cannot come to where You are.”

 

He came to me, He came to me,

When I could not come to where He was, He came to me.

That’s why He died on Calvary;

When I could not come to where He was, He came to me.

 

He came to me, when I was bound in chains of sin,

He came to me, when I possessed no hope within;

He picked me up, and drew me gently to His side

Where, today, in His sweet love I now abide.

 

He came to me, He came to me,

When I could not come to where He was, He came to me.

That’s why He died on Calvary;

When I could not come to where He was, He came to me.

 

I hope each and every one of you have that independence.  If not, it’s not too late.  It’s yours for the asking.

 

 

 

 

Brenda

boutlaw@carolinaregion.com

 

 

No comments: