Thursday, January 27, 2011

Scales/Prayer

I hope all of you had a good day today.  Mine was a little rough.  I didn’t rest well last night, rather Haley didn’t rest well last night; therefore neither did I.  She kept jumping out of the bed, running to the vents and sniffing hard enough to almost pull the vent right out of the floor.  I don’t know what she was smelling but I finally told her if she didn’t quit I was going to put her in her kennel for the rest of the night.  I wish you could have seen the look she gave me.  She knows I’m all talk  but I hope she rests better tonight so I can too.

 

I wanted to share one of the devotions in my daily journal with you.  It’s called “Unbalancing the Scales”.  I’m going to copy it here just like it is written.

 

“Balancing the scales of life – the spiritual versus the earthly – can seem impossible.  In our attempt to find balance, we encounter unrest and discouragement.  Perhaps it’s so difficult for us because it’s really not God’s desire that the scales be balanced at all.  Actually, He calls us to a completely unbalanced life.  In Mark 12:30, the heart represents the things we love, and the soul, our emotions.  Loving God with all our hearts and souls places Him first, above all else.  Our strength represents the things into which we put our efforts, our will, and our physical work.  Our mind is the sum of our thoughts.  God doesn’t want an equal portion of those things after they are divided with the world.  He wants and deserves it all.  The scales should not be balanced; they should tip as our devotion to God exceeds all else.  It is only with that proper balance that He can finally and truly have full reign in our lives.  To the believer, that right relationship is the only one that feels natural.  Only then, when God is given all of our hearts, souls, strength, and minds, can we feel at peace.”

 

I hate to admit that I am not where I should be in the unbalanced life.  I don’t always put God first.  I know I should, but sometimes things just get in the way….little things….big things…just things.  I had to work late today so I didn’t get to Church Wednesday night, company came in at the last minute and I felt I should stay home with them, I didn’t sleep good last night and was afraid I would fall asleep in Church but I didn’t have any trouble holding my eyes open to watch television.  Get the picture?  I am not proud of this.  Sometimes it is too easy to let the devil get between me and the door when it is time to go to Church.  But, thankfully, I am not as bad about these things as I used to be.  Now, if I miss a service in my Church, I don’t just feel guilty because I wasn’t there.  I also miss being there!!  I was sick a couple of Sunday’s ago and couldn’t get to Church for either service and I really missed being there.  My Pastor puts a lot of study in his messages and I have learned a lot from him.  I also feel like I let him and God down when I am not there.  I am treasurer and I also play the organ so I do leave an empty spot when I am not there.  I’m not where I should be when it comes to reading my Bible and I battle with myself constantly.  I struggle to read the fine print, but I could always buy a large print Bible.  I just need to make the effort and eventually I will realize something is missing when I don’t read it.  I have a hard time praying if I pray silently.  My mind wanders and I begin to think of other things.  One of my favorite times to pray is on my way to work.  There is no one in the car but me and I can pray out loud.  Doing that keeps my mind on track.  I pray that way when I am home.

 

I go back to one of the sentences in the devotion…”only then, when God is given all of our hearts, souls, strength, and minds, can we feel at peace”.  I am going to make an extra effort to find that peace. 

 

Good night, everyone.  As my Mama used to say…”sleep tight; don’t let the bed bugs bite”.

 

 

 

 

Brenda

boutlaw@carolinaregion.com

 

 

No comments: