Thursday, November 12, 2009

November Storm

This has been a really tough day-well actually it started yesterday. Everyone knows about the storm that started on 11/11, Veteran's Day. Between the time I got home from work yesterday until I went out to go to church (about 45 minutes), the water in my yard rose to over my shoes. So, I went to church with wet feet. I don't sleep well when we have winds out of the northeast. My house is 80 feet long with a metal roof and there is always a lot of noise with those winds. Of course, by the time I got home from church, it was pouring rain and I couldn't get Haley to go out to the bathroom. She really hates to get her feet wet. I played games on the computer, did some NCBBA work, paid a few bills and decided to go to bed and watch tv. About 3:00 I got up to take something for my headache and when I walked into the kitchen, I noticed water in the floor in front of my refrigerator. "Great", I mumbled. Haley came and checked out the situation and looked at me as if to say, "It wasn't me, Mom. Honest!" Thankfully, my refrigerator has wheels, so I rolled it out, wiped up the water and put the fridge back in it's spot. I popped some popcorn and we went to back to bed and watched a movie. (I forgot to mention, Haley sleeps with me.) Finally, at 6:00, I quit trying to to go sleep and got up. The water was back on the kitchen floor again. Needless to say, I was really concerned at that point since we are supposed to have 2 - 3 days of rain. I rolled the refrigerator out again, cleaned up the water again and this time I left the fridge in the middle of my kitchen floor, plugged it back in and got ready for work.
My yard, the road and the neighbor's yards were covered with water. I honestly don't think I have seen that much rain water standing since I have been living in Manns Harbor. The tide wasn't up too much at that time. I decided to carry a change of clothes to work with me, then decided to carry 2 changes with me. Good thing! When I got to work, I was soaked so I changed into the first dry set. When I went to the post office and bank at lunch time, I was soaked again so here I go changing into the second dry set. It was a long, miserable day. I left work at 4:30 so I could get home before dark and be sure where I was driving on the road. There is water everywhere. I took several pictures and the batteries in my camera died just as I pulled into my driveway. Thankfully, I did not find any more water on the kitchen floor. I let Haley out and just walked around for a while, assessing the damage. Other than some debris in the yard, I don't have any damage. Some of my neighbors were not so lucky. No major damage, just limbs down and lots of trash in the yards. I am praying that the leak in my kitchen is not going to be anything major. Money is too tight right now to have a major problem.
Just listening to the weatherman and now we have to worry about the wrap-around band of showers that won't be here until tomorrow. Oh, well. At least the wind isn't blowing tonight so maybe I can get some sleep. My heart really breaks for those people that have lost homes on the beach. This morning I head someone say, Serendipity (the house used in Nights at Rodanthe) probably would not survive this storm. That house was built by one of my clients and was a really beautiful place - very unique.
I'm supposed to work at a NCBBA meeting Saturday in Rodanthe and sure hope I can make it down there.

No comments: