Monday, November 23, 2009

What I am thankful for

A couple of weeks ago Judy, a friend on Face Book challenged everyone to post something they were thankful for everyday until Thanksgiving. Well, I accepted the challenge and since I didn't see it until 11/11, I chose the veterans to be thankful for that day. Since then, my posts have come so easily. I have so many things to be thankful for. It has been so interesting to see what people posted.

I am so very thankful the "nor'Ida" is over. This was the remnants of Ida, that turned into possibly one of the most devastating nor'easters our coast has seen. I had a little damage, or so I thought. Pastor Tyler and a missionary visiting our church, Jack Peeler, went over to my house Thursday to repair a small hole in the living room floor. The hole was not caused by this storm; but was discovered a couple of weeks ago. In repairing the hole, they discovered the floor around the hole was damp (which it had not been earlier) so they started looking for the source of the water. Regretfully, they discovered damage to edge of my roof, all around the house. This may not be the major problem that I originally thought it was; but it is still a problem. Anything that involves spending money is a problem. But, they were able to put some type of sealant on a lot of the places. I just pray that we do not have a lot of wind and rain this winter and I hate to say that is what the forecast is.

Those of my friends that are believers in prayer, I would appreciate your prayers regarding my roof. This has been a very tight financial year for me, just like for a lot of other people. I am going to have to trust God to provide the funds for the materials. Supplying the labor is not a problem. Thankfully, I have a lot of friends that are willing to supply that.

We had a great week at church as usual. A great service on Wed. night with missionary Jack Peeler and his wife Melinda. I can also count this couple among my personal friends. I got to have lunch with them Wed. and breakfast Sat. before they left to head to Wilson for their next services. They are an extraordinary couple and work hard for the Lord.

Saturday night we had our Thanksgiving dinner at church with between 40 and 45 people in attendance. The food was AWESOME, as usual and the fellowship also. The Pastor shared some thoughts about the first Thanksgiving with us.

Sunday was a great day in the Lord. A visitor from Pennsylvania, Katie Tuckey, played the piano for us in the AM services. WOW. God has given her an awesome gift. I felt so small playing with her and she was very gracious in asking me. I would have much rather just sit back and let her handle the music; but I felt honored to play with her. Pastor's message was very good, as always and Sunday night a man named Bob, came forward and professed his salvation. He visited with us last Sunday AM and Pastor and Stafford Berry talked with him and led him to the Lord. What a great way to end the services.

I am really looking forward to Thanksgiving this year. My office is actually closing Wednesday at 12:00 - an absolute first for us. I am traveling to Greenville to TJ's and we are going on to Amy's in Albemarle; planning to return on Sunday. Amy is a great cook and I am looking forward to the rest and family time with them. Her father and his family are coming in Sat. and that is when we are going to actually have Thanksgiving dinner. Haley isn't going with me this time. A friend here in Manteo is going to keep her for me. She had a play-date at his house Sat. while I was at church. We needed to see if she would get along with his 3 basset hounds, Elvis, Earl and Clyde. He said she was a very well behaved dog and was welcome to come visit for a few days. He said the 3 boys gave her a "paw's up". I will miss having her with me, but in all honesty I will probably will enjoy my visit more by leaving her home.

I mailed some packages off to Raymond last Friday. I really miss him and especially at the holiday season. This is my second year of not having him here to help me with the Christmas decorations. He always puts the lights on the Christmas tree for me, since I absolutely hate to do it. Last year, when I took the tree down, I left the lights on hoping that this year they will all work. I usually put my tree up Thanksgiving weekend; but since I won't be home, I guess it will have to wait until the next weekend.

I hope everyone has a great week and an especially blessed Thanksgiving.

No comments: